Spirits and Songs Tour
Turner Valley, Black Diamond, Nanton, High River
approx. 2.25 hours
ROUNDTRIP FROM SOUTH CALGARY
approx. 197 KM
The Spirits & Songs tour will take you through the rolling Foothills to Alberta’s first craft distillery and licensed cafés under open skies. Experience local and internationally renowned live music in a wide range of venues from street corners, to outdoor patios; from wide open fields to western saloons; and if you time your visit just right, you might even catch some foot tapping tunes played in an authentic outdoor bandstand
If you are traveling on the weekend and love the idea of classic rock, country, hip hop, alternative and other kinds of music you will find a rich musical scene just outside the city, right on Calgary’s doorstep
If you travel mid-week you might not catch any live music but you can still capture the spirit of our region by combining this tour with one of our others. If a delightful day or adult-only outing is what you are seeking, consider one of these tours: One-of- A-Kind Finds, Made In Alberta or Prairie Past and Present tours.
- Seeking to make a memorable impression with that special someone? This tour spirit-filled could be just what you are looking for – an afternoon full of unique experiences… that might even linger on into the night.
- Do you and your friends love live music played in intimate venues? Do you thrive on discovering new bands or get nostalgic partying to old favourites? If you answer yes to any of these, then grab a group and get out of town – THIS is the tour for you!!
We recommend these featured activities and businesses:
- Turner Valley: Eau Claire Distillery
- Black Diamond: The Westwood (previously the Stop Coffee Shop and Gathering Place)
- High River: Carlson’s on MacLeod and “Bandstand Sundays” at George Lane Park from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM. These take place every Sunday through the summer months.
Check out the events calendar to see live events, festivals, rodeos, pow wows, markets and more that may add even more fun in these Cool Little Towns.
For more casual, eclectic dining options you may also consider:
- Turner Valley: Chuckwagon Café & Cattle Company (as featured on ‘You Gotta Eat Here’ for famous Alberta Beef burgers), Motoburrito is an eclectic Mexican food truck
- Black Diamond: The Westwood pop-up trailer boasts locally sourced meat and produce for their rustic, casual gourmet menu.
- High River: The Whistle Stop Café vintage railway car or famous Evelyn’s Memory Lane Café for a meal or homemade ice cream.
For your boutique and artisan browsing desires:
- Millarville/MD Foothills: The famous Leighton Art Centre is found off a rural road en route to Turner Valley. Featuring local artists and one of Alberta’s best views, this is a hidden treasure.
- Black Diamond: This Cool Little Town is becoming a destination for interesting art, clothing, jewelry and gifts that cannot be found anywhere…all within walking distance of each other – a block from The Westwood. Bluerock Gallery is well known for showcasing Alberta’s best artisans and artists. Branch Market & Studio is the newest shop featuring some of southern Alberta’s best ‘makers’ of handcrafted items.
- Nanton: One of a kind finds can be found in cleverly curated boutiques Classic Rodeo, Blonde & Brash and made in Willow Creek Forge (as featured on Dragon’s Den and acclaimed as Alberta’s best frying panmaker!). Or take a stroll on the world-renowned Antique & Art Walk of Alberta.
- High River: Boasting 15 historical murals featuring two new additions. the New Downtown is a great stroll to be inspired. Along the way discover the many Arts and Culture locations in and around downtown.
For more spirits:
- Okotoks/MD Foothills: Chinook Honey Company (Okotoks) is maker of mead (and other great honey products). You can continue west of Black Diamond en route to Okotoks with a stop at and turn right for some honey, honey wine, and other locally made selections. Look up times for apiary tours or visits of the mead-making distillery.