Spirits and Songs Tour
Turner Valley, Black Diamond, Nanton, High River
approx. 2.25 hours
ROUNDTRIP FROM SOUTH CALGARY
approx. 197 KM
The Spirits & Songs tour will take you through the rolling Foothills to a craft distillery and licensed cafés under open skies. Experience a rustic bandstand and music on weekends. And, enjoy fresh, foodie favourites in adults-only environments, like on a rooftop with nothing by sky and landscapes.
If you are traveling on the weekend and love the idea of classic rock, country, hip hop, alternative and other kinds of music you will find a rich musical scene outside the city every weekend with this tour.
If you travel mid-week you will miss the live music but you can combine this tour with another such as the One-of- A-Kind Finds, Made In Alberta or Prairie Past and Present tours for a delightful date or adults outing.
We recommend these featured activities and businesses:
- Turner Valley: Eau Claire Distillery
- Black Diamond: The Westwood (previously the Stop Coffee Shop and Gathering Place)
- Nanton: Fieldstones Rooftop Espresso Wine Bar (Fri-Sun)
- High River: Carlson’s on MacLeod and “Bandstand Sundays” at George Lane Park from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM. These take place every Sunday through the summer months.
Check out the events calendar to see live events, festivals, rodeos, pow wows, markets and more that may add even more fun in these Cool Little Towns.
For more casual, eclectic dining options you may also consider:
- Turner Valley: Chuckwagon Café & Cattle Company (as featured on ‘You Gotta Eat Here’ for famous Alberta Beef burgers), Motoburrito is an eclectic Mexican food truck
- Black Diamond: The Westwood pop-up trailer boasts locally sourced meat and produce for their rustic, casual gourmet menu.
- High River: The Whistle Stop Café vintage railway car or famous Evelyn’s Memory Lane Café for a meal or homemade ice cream.
For your boutique and artisan browsing desires:
- Millarville/MD Foothills: The famous Leighton Art Centre is found off a rural road en route to Turner Valley. Featuring local artists and one of Alberta’s best views, this is a hidden treasure.
- Black Diamond: This Cool Little Town is becoming a destination for interesting art, clothing, jewelry and gifts that cannot be found anywhere…all within walking distance of each other – a block from The Westwood. Bluerock Gallery is well known for showcasing Alberta’s best artisans and artists. Branch Market & Studio is the newest shop featuring some of southern Alberta’s best ‘makers’ of handcrafted items.
- Nanton: One of a kind finds can be found in cleverly curated boutiques Classic Rodeo, Blonde & Brash and made in Willow Creek Forge (as featured on Dragon’s Den and acclaimed as Alberta’s best frying panmaker!). Or take a stroll on the world-renowned Antique & Art Walk of Alberta.
- High River: Boasting 15 historical murals featuring two new additions. the New Downtown is a great stroll to be inspired. Along the way discover the many Arts and Culture locations in and around downtown.
For more spirits:
- Okotoks/MD Foothills: Chinook Honey Company (Okotoks) is maker of mead (and other great honey products). You can continue west of Black Diamond en route to Okotoks with a stop at and turn right for some honey, honey wine, and other locally made selections. Look up times for apiary tours or visits of the mead-making distillery.
Distance: approximately 55 km
1. Take Hwy 22x west.
2. Turn left (south) at Hwy 22 to Turner Valley.
3. Turn right (west) at 4-way stop and park.
- Eau Claire Distillery
Distance: 4 km
4. Return to 4-way stop and go through (east) on Hwy 22 to Black Diamond.
5. Drive through Black Diamond to 4-way stop.
6. Turn right (south) at 4-way stop onto Government Ave and park near 1 st Street.
- The Westwood (Sun-Thurs 7:00am – 9:00pm, Fri & Sat 7:00am – Late)
Distance: 68 km
7. Head back to the 4-way stop on Government Road in Black Diamond.
8. Turn right (east) on Centre Ave (Hwy 7).
9. Continue on Hwy 7 as it becomes Hwy 2A.
10. Turn left (east) on Hwy 7/Hwy 547.
11. Follow road to the right (south) onto Hwy 2.
12. Turn left (east) on 20 th Street. Park (free parking).
- Fieldstones Rooftop Espresso Wine Bar (Fri-Sun only, until 9:00)
Distance: 30 km
13. Head east on 20th Street
14. Turn north (left) on Hwy 2
15. Take exit 194B for Hwy 23 westbound (12 Ave)
16. At the roundabout, take the 1 st exit onto Centre St SE (Hwy 2A).
17. Turn west (left) onto 3 rd Avenue. Park. (watch for one-way streets)
- Carlson’s on MacLeod (music is Friday and Saturday evenings)
Distance: approximately 39 km
18. Turn east on Balsam Ave.
19. Turn right (south) on Hwy 22.
20. Reaching t-intersection turn left (east) on Hwy 22.
21. Hwy 22 turns into Hwy 22x.
22. Turn south from right lanes on overpass to MacLeod Trail or Deerfoot