Prairie Past and Present Tours
High River, Nanton, Longview, Okotoks
approx. 2.5 hours
ROUNDTRIP FROM SOUTH CALGARY
This isn’t your childhood fieldtrip (but your own child and inner child will love it just as much as if it were)! Celebrating iconic requirements of life and living in the Prairies in the earlier part of this century, the stops on the Prairie Past and Present tour will far exceed your expectations. Leave your skepticism behind and hop in your car or on your motorcycle or whatever means of transportation you prefer. We plan to surprise you. Well suited to daytrippers of any age and any budget.
Explore farming and agriculture, discover the story behind this area being central to the entire Commonwealth air training fields for World War II, have a little taste of cowboy life (and campfire coffee if you are lucky), explore one of the largest glacial erratics (The Big Rock) and relax and eat in Old Towne Okotoks.
Explore three centuries of Cool Little Town and surrounding country life through museums, outdoor experiences, murals and art walks… and cool country dining like in a vintage rail car.
We recommend these really cool historical sites and cafés or casual dining along the way:
- High River: The New Downtown featuring new Historical Mural Walk (15 total!), Museum of the Highwood, The Whistle Stop Café. Downtown High River, Rotary Park – Statue tribute to George Emerson situated at the gateway to the Rotary Park on 1st Street and 5th Ave. Recognizes history of High River Icon.
- Nanton: Bomber Command Museum of Canada, Canadian Grain Elevator Discovery Centre, Museum of Miniatures, The Nanton Candy Store, Wild Thyme Café (all located in or near the popular Antique & Art Walk of Alberta)
- Longview: Bar U Ranch (former working cattle ranch maintaining a real cowboy experience), Longview Jerky Shop, Twin Cities Hotel & Saloon
- Okotoks: Big Rock Erratic (between Black Diamond & Okotoks), Old Towne Okotoks including Okotoks Museum and Archives (OMA)
Other tour options you may like:
- The One-of- a-Kind Finds tour complements this tour if you like arts, galleries, boutiques.