Local Foods Cool Little Culinary Tour
of the Cool Little Towns on Calgary’s doorstep
ROUNDTRIP FROM SOUTH CALGARY
approx. 215 KM
approx. 2.75 hours
This Made in Alberta tour is a feast for your senses. Bring your appetite for locally crafted food and drink from the coolest chefs, producers, and makers. Just try get through this tour without Saskatoon pie, syrup or ice cream; honey mead; Alberta grade beef; u-pick produce; locally sourced in-season, chef created meals; and small-batch spirits!
The foothills of Alberta are well known for cattle ranching – but they are also bursting with local food treasures you can taste or take home to savor later.
Explore local tastes and smells for a day or a weekend….. start your experience with a healthy hearty brunch at one of our rural cafes’, craft coffee roasters roasters or farmers markets, then spend your day…
- learning about honey and mead production from friendly beekeepers and wine makers; or
- making friends with farm animals at one of the kid-friendly farms and petting zoos;
- or tasting the unique terroir our region gives to locally made kraft spirits and beers…
Round out your cool little culinary tour at one of our many acclaimed restaurants.
Be a road warrior and tackle it all in a full, very satisfying, single day. Or, you can break it into an east side (Okotoks, Longview, Black Diamond) and west side (Turner Valley, Bragg Creek) adventure.
Eat, drink and tell your friends! Better yet, bring one or many along for the ride. Head south and then dip west to enjoy the rolling Foothills and west-facing views of mountains and big skies over your open roads.
Whether you explore a quick sampling of the tastes of the Cool Little Towns in a day or over several, you are sure to experience something new that you will want to share with the world!
We recommend these featured made-in-Alberta culinary experiences:
- MD of Foothills: The Saskatoon Farm, Kayben Farms, Chinook Honey Company and Chinook Arch Meadery, Spirit Hills Honey Winery, Granary Road, Millarville Farmer’s Market
- Longview: Twin Cities Hotel and Saloon (award winning Alberta bison and beef), famous Longview Jerky Shop, Longview Steakhouse, Hay Wire Cafe & Grill House, Little New York Bistro
- Black Diamond: The Westwood, Black Diamond Bakery & Coffee Shop, Marv’s Classic Soda Shoppe, Hard Knox Brewery
- Turner Valley: Chuckwagon Café & Cattle Co. before 2:30 p.m. (as seen on You Gotta Eat Here), Eau Claire Distillery, MotoBurrito Food truck, Brauerei Fahr (German Craft Brewery)
- Bragg Creek: The Bavarian Inn, The Italian Farmhouse restaurant, Creekers Bistro & Restaurant, Cowtown Beef Shack, the Heart of Bragg Creek Cafe, Bragg Creek Oil & Vinegar Market
- High River: The Whistlestop Cafe, Rio Alto Mexican Restaurant, Evelyn’s Memory Lane Cafe, Hitchin Post Drive In, the Oxford Bakehouse, Bottled Up Bar & Grill , High River Brewing Co., High River Farmer’s Market
- Nanton: Stuthornes on Main, Wild Thyme Cafe, Haywired Coffee House, Nanton Farmer’s Market, the Candy Store in Nanton
- Olde Towne Okotoks: Bistro 1882, The Heartland Cafe, Roma Italian Restaurant, Almira’s Mediteranean Grill, Plaka Greek Taverna, Pho Hoai Vietnamese Restaurant, Sweetgrass Deli & Eatery, Big Sky Pit BBQ, Home Ground Coffee, the British Chippy, ChaCha John’s Fusion Cuisine, Hub Town Brewing Co. , Okotoks Farmer’s Market, On Tap Oil & Vinegar, 94 Take the Cake Bakery,
Check out the events calendar to see live events, festivals, rodeos, pow wows, markets and more that may add even more fun in these Cool Little Towns.