Celebration & Exhilaration!
Buskers & Festivals & Concerts – Oh My!
Experience local and internationally renowned live music from street corners, to outdoor patios; from wide open fields to western saloons; and if you time your visit just right, you might even catch some foot tapping tunes played in an authentic outdoor bandstand
If you are traveling on the weekend and love the idea of classic rock, country, hip hop, alternative and other kinds of music you will find a rich musical scene just outside the city, right on Calgary’s doorstep
The Cool Little Towns on Calgary’s doorstep are rich with culture and music all year long! If you are seeking an especially memorable musical experience, consider coming out to one of these events:
- High River’s Gift of Music – a renowned annual concert series that brings world-class classical music to an intimate venue in this Cool Little Town. Past concerts include: the Canadian Guitar Quartet, the Creole Choir of Cuba, Calmus Christmas Concert, Soprano Marie- Josee Lord with piano and violin, the Heidelberg Youth Chamber Orchestra and many more….
- Bragg Creek Performing Arts – a community group dedicated to bringing quality concerts, and professional performers to Bragg Creek. Past performers include: Basia Bulat, Colin James, Sloan, Carlos del Junco, Ron Sexsmith, and Stephen Fearing among many others…
- Beneath the Arch – Turner Valley, “Beneath the Arch Concert Series (BTA) is a non-profit society based in Turner Valley, Alberta that presents 7 concerts a year, showcasing amazing musicians from all over the globe. Their audience enjoys excellent acoustics from the skill of their professional sound engineer. Check out their upcoming shows!”
- Foothills Folk Club – brings the best of Alberta and Canadian touring folk artists to High River. See their website for coming events
- River of Music Busker festival – High River’s annual event celebrating the community of singer/songwriters and talented musicians from High River and surrounding area. Held on the Long weekend in May, following High River’s Little Britches Parade
- Okotoks Buskerfest – Musicians, actors, magicians, jugglers, street performers, dancers, b-boys, singers & entertainers of all ages and acts are spread throughout the streets of downtown Okotoks for this fun street festival. It’s all free – if you like what you hear, show your appreciation for the performances with a loonie, toonie, fiver, or whatever you can afford! Plus, shop at the local downtown stores, as well as at the artisan street market, which will feature vendors spread throughout downtown. Generally held the last Saturday in June, you can confirm times and date on our event page.
- Longstock Music and Arts Festival – this annual event featuring fantastic Alberta musical talent, artists and artisans takes place the 3rd weekend in August in the Cool Little Town of Longview. “An outdoor weekend long music festival that will be sure to provide entertainment and activities for everyone. They host 16 fantastic bands with a new band every hour, a beer garden, food vendors and a market, all within Smith-Fuller Centennial Park – a sure hit with the kids, as there is an amazing playground all within the same vicinity!”
- Shady Grove Bluegrass Festival – takes place the 3rd weekend in August just east of Nanton. “Join the fun and hear some great Bluegrass music at the Shady Grove Bluegrass Festival. They feature acts from the US and Canada, including a few of our amazing local bands.”
- Bandstand Sundays in George Lane Park – High River
- Rivercity Rock Fest – August in High River
- Picnics at the Piano in Okotoks – the 4th Wednesday of the month May to September. “Bring a picnic lunch (and blankets) and enjoy a free, noon-hour outdoor concert at the Olde Towne Plaza. In the event of poor weather, the concert will move to the Rotary Performing Arts Centre (RPAC) at 3 Elma Street E.”
- Coutts Centre for Western Heritage – Nanton, “Launched in June 2011 thanks to a generous gift from the late Dr. Jim Coutts (LLD ’12), the Coutts Centre for Western Canadian Heritage preserves and celebrates the diverse heritage that is central to the spirit of the west.” Enjoy Sunday brunches with live musical performances in their beautiful gardens all summer long.
- Arts Festival and En Plein Air Day – held at the Coutts Centre for Western Heritage in Nanton in Late July. Enjoy Live Music, Shakespeare in the Garden, family art activities, Brown’s Sunday Brunch, House Tours, self-guided Garden Tours and Donald Lawrence’s Camera Obscura pavilion.
- Pie and Music Sundays at Art & Soul Studio Galley in High River – every Sunday afternoon, visit their Facebook page for details
….. this list is ever changing, and growing all the time! So check out our calendar of events and follow our Cool Little Towns Facebook Page, to stay up to speed on what’s happening across our region.