The Big, Beautiful Loop Roadtrip
This tour will get you and your friends out on the highway…. looking for adventure…. and whatever comes your way…
approx. 3 hours
ROUNDTRIP FROM SOUTH CALGARY
approx. 240 KM
Looking for the best open roads and big skies, with the coolest pitstops to gas up, stretch out and explore?
Craving the coolest burgers, burritos, brews and views
Hankering to feel the hum of your Harley or street bike with a guaranteed great ride?
Winding throughout the foothills south and west of Calgary, are nearly 250 km of rolling country roads…. a network of picturesque highways that connect our Cool Little Towns.
Countless breathtaking vistas of the world-famous Rocky Mountains, scenic rolling prairies, wide open skies, winding oxbow rivers, and historic townscapes, beckoning you to slow down, enjoy the view and stay a while…
Along the way take some time to enjoy a local meal at one of our many patios and cafes, or commune with other road warriors and get to know the locals at popular pitstops along the way.
With the longest distance you’ll travel before hitting the next opportunity to gas up being 87 kilometres, this trip is truly low on worry, high on fun.
Start the day out in the Cool Little Town of Turner Valley, on Highway 22 (Cowboy Trail) just south of Calgary by rolling in for breakfast at the popular Chuckwagon Café…. Or if you get off to a late start, pull up to Motoburrito, a fun Mexican-style food truck in Turner Valley before walking off your meal with a stroll through downtown Black Diamond only minutes away.
In Black Diamond you will find a lovely collection of art galleries and boutiques, along with a bit of old time rock & roll at Marv’s Classic Soda Shop
After lunch head back out down beautiful Highway 22 and follow the signs south to Longview where you can stop to pick up some world-famous Longview Jerky, or enjoy the vibe on the patio at the Twin Cities Hotel and Saloon…along the way, see if you can spot the fence row topped with a mile or two of ball caps…. it’s quite the site to behold!!!
Just south of Longview is the historic Bar U Ranch, where you can trade your wheels for a wagon ride as you shift gears, slow down and wander the historic buildings of this famous ranch…
From Bar U, you can choose to cruise down to Highway 533, then loop over to Nanton and if you time your trip just right you will feel the roar of the Bomber Command Museum of Canada’s mighty Lancaster Bomber engines during one of the museum’s popular engine runs….
Or shorten your day by cutting across country at the Bar U on highway 540, heading east towards Highway 2 with stops in High River and Okotoks to check out some unique local shops, points of interest, art galleries and cafes before heading back to the city at the end of your leisurely road trip adventure.
Read more in this great article written by one of the friendliest bikers around… RENT-A-REBEL: Member of gentlest biker gang hit the foothills looking for adventure and finds it
Other cool things you need to add to your to do list as you explore the beautiful back roads around our Cool Little Towns on Calgary’s doorstep:
- MD of Foothills: Millarville Farmers’ Market, Rothney Astrophysical Observatory, The Saskatoon Farm, Granary Road Public Market
- Turner Valley: Motoburrito food truck, Motöraad Performance Motorcycle Shop
- Black Diamond: The Black Diamond Hotel, the Westwood, the Black Diamond Bakery, Marv’s Classic Soda Shop, Black Diamond Gallery, Bluerock Gallery
- Longview: Twin Cities Hotel (award winning Alberta bison and beef), famous Longview Jerky
- Nanton: Bomber Command Museum of Canada, The Candy Store in Nanton, Stuthornes on Main, The Museum of Miniatures
- High River: Whistle Stop Café, Evelyn’s Memory Lane, Hitchin’ Post (bike enthusiasts stop here for burgers and shakes all the time)
- Okotoks: Okotoks Museum & Archives; Okotoks Art Gallery, Lineham House Art Gallery, Big Sky BBQ
- Bragg Creek: Lucid Moto Cafe, Elbow Falls Provincial Recreation Area, Cowtown Beef Shack